Bachelor of Individualized Studies
The Bachelor of Individualized Studies has five basic components:
- General Education & Institutional Requirements
- Foreign Language Requirement (Bachelor of Arts only)
- Core Individualized Studies Requirements
- Individualized Concentration Courses
- Electives: college-level courses from any prefix to meet Graduation Requirements
DSU General Education & Institutional Requirements
All DSU General Education and Institutional requirements must be fulfilled. A previously earned degree may fulfill those requirements, but courses must be equivalent to DSU’s minimum General Education standards in American Institutions, English, and Mathematics.
|Institutional Requirement in Computer Literacy|
|General Education Core Requirements|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences||3|
|Two (2) Global & Cultural Perspectives Courses||0-6|
|Bachelor of Arts: Foreign Language Requirement||3-16|
|Complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits in a single foreign language, through earned credit (grade C or higher), credit by examination, or vertical credit from the courses listed on the GE Foreign Language Requirement page 1
- Complete a 2020 or higher foreign language course (grade C or higher)
- Complete a 3060 foreign language course listed below (grade C or higher)
- Receive 16 transfer credits for GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (8) in a single foreign language (grade C or higher)
|Complete a 1020 course listed below in a second foreign language (grade C or higher) AND one of the following:|
|1. In a language not taught at DSU, receive 12 FLATS exam credits for FLAT 1000 (8) and FLAT 2000 (4)|
|2. In a language not taught at DSU, receive 12 transfer credits articulated as GEFL 1000 (8) and GEFL 2000 (4) (all grade C or higher)|
|Available only to students who are nonnative English speakers, complete one of the following:|
- Complete 16 credits of ESL courses listed below (grade B or higher)
- Submit one of the following test scores required for unconditional DSU admission: TOEFL (61 iBT, 173 CBT, or 500 PBT); or Michigan (70); or USU-IELE equivalent score. Other tests may be accepted for admission to DSU but will not fulfill this requirement. Official scores must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
|Core Individualized Studies Requirements||12|
|INDS 3800||Individualized Studies Seminar||3|
|INDS 3805||Individualized Studies Lab||1|
|INDS 4700||Individualized Studies Portfolio||3|
|Individualized Concentration Courses (21 credits must be upper-division)|
Statistical Comprehension (Complete One (1) Course)
|MATH 1040||Introduction to Statistics||3|
|STAT 2040||Business Statistics||3|
|SOC 3112||Social Statistics||3|
Written Composition (Complete One (1) Course)
|PSY 2000||Writing in Psychology: APA Style||3|
|ENGL 3030||Advanced College Writing||3|
|ENGL 3130||Grant and Proposal Writing||3|
|ENGL 3010||Writing in the Professions||3|
Thematic Concentration (Complete 35 to 36 credits)
|Concentration Courses (lower-division)||14-21|
|Concentration Courses (upper-division)||15-21|
|College-Level Course(s) (numbered > 999)||36-40|
- Complete a minimum of 120 college-level credits (1000 and above).
- Complete at least 40 upper-division credits (3000 and above).
- Complete at least 30 upper-division credits at DSU for institutional residency.
- Cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher.
- Grade C or higher in each Core Individualized Studies Requirements.