The Associate of Applied Science in General Technology (A.A.S.) - Design emphasis, prepares students for entry-level IT careers. The content incorporates related general education requirements, and provides students with the basic skills of effective visual, oral, and written communication for a range of audiences.
General Education & Institutional Requirements
The required General Education courses for the Associate of Applied Science degree at DSU include a course in English, Quantitative Reasoning and Human Relations.
|General Education Requirement|
|ENGL 1010||Introduction to Writing (EN)||3-4|
|or ENGL 1010D||Introduction to Writing (EN)|
|BUS 1370||Human Relations||3|
|or COMM 2110||Interpersonal Communication (SS, GC)|
|Complete one of the following: Quantitative Course|
|MATH 1010||Intermediate Algebra||4|
|MATH 1050||College Algebra / Pre-Calculus (MA)||4|
|Information Technology Emphasis Requirements|
|DES 1100||Intro to Digital Design||3|
|DES 1300||Design I||3|
|DES 2100||Design Thinking||3|
|DES 2300||Design II||3|
|DES 2710||Typography I||3|
|DES 3300||Motion Graphics I||3|
|WEB 1400||Web Design I: Fundamentals (ALCS)||3|
|ART 1100||Design for Non-Majors (FA)||3|
|ART 1130||3-Dimensional Design I||3|
|ART 2060||Digital Photography||3|
|CS 1400||Fundamentals of Programming||3|
|Design Emphasis Electives (See Academic Advisor for elective course suggestions)||8|
|Complete the following: 18-30 technical specialty credits 1||12-30|
30 credits from an accredited Utah System, technical college program. The specific content, which may be transferred for credit, must exceed 900 membership hours and must be an articulated program with DSU. Transfer coursework for a certificate of completion will be evaluated, and credit awarded in accordance with approved articulation agreements as outlined in R473.
- Complete a minimum of 63 college-level credits (1000 and above).
- Complete at least 20 lower-division credits at DSU for institutional residency.
- Grade of C or higher required in all design courses.
- Cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher.
General Technology information technology Emphasis Program Learning Outcomes
At the successful conclusion of this program, students will be able to:
- Synthesize content into form using the design process.
- Consider different theories, design principles and processes in generating solutions.
- Apply ethical, legal, and social responsibilities in all aspects of practice.
- Construct effective solutions in teams to accomplish a common goal.
- Author effective visual, oral, and written communication for a range of audiences.