Academic Policies and Procedures

Academic Year

The academic year consists of three semesters: Fall, Spring, and Summer. Traditional semesters are the Fall and Spring 15-week semesters. Fall and Spring are 15 weeks long and are followed by a 5-day final exam period. There is a Fall Break around the middle of the semester, and a three-day Thanksgiving Holiday. Spring includes a week-long Spring Break, usually near the middle of the semester. Summer has various terms from 7 - 14 weeks, with schedules adjusted to equal the time required in Fall and Spring schedules. Summer does not have a separate final exam period.

Non-Traditional Terms

Summer, block, and other non-traditional semesters will have waitlist, add, drop, audit, payment, and withdrawal deadlines assessed proportionally. Consult the Academic Calendar or contact the Registrar’s Office for specific deadlines.

Full-Time Students

A full-time student is enrolled in 12 credits per semester. Most financial aid requires students to be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits to receive full benefits, although some academic scholarships require 15 credits per semester.

In order to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in four years, students will need to enroll in at least 15 credits during each Fall and Spring semester or take additional credits in Summer.

Excess Credit

  • Maximum registration is 20 credit hours per semester.

Registering for excess credit (over 20 credits per semester) requires a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA and permission from one of the following:

  • Department Chair of student’s declared major.
  • Director of Academic Advisement Center.
  • University Registrar.

Additional tuition is assessed when students register for more than 20 credits. See Tuition and Fee Schedule in this catalog.

Classes / Credits

DSU is required by Federal regulations to comply with these minimum standards for a semester credit hour:

  1. One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of term length.
    Students should plan to spend two (2) hours on coursework outside of class for each hour they spend in class for each college credit. For example, a 3 credit course meets for three (3) hours per week and requires an average of six (6) additional hours of work outside of class per week.
  2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours. Some instructional types require more hours.
  3. Courses without direct faculty instruction, including independent study, require a minimum of 45 hours of work during the semester per credit.

Class Level

Registration is open to students by class level, which is calculated by the number of completed credits:

Freshman 0-29 credits
Sophomore 30-59 credits
Junior 60-89 credits
Senior 90 or more credits


  • Placement refers to placement scores such as the ACT, SAT, or Accuplacer (which can be taken in the DSU Testing Center).
  • Prerequisite courses must be completed before beginning the next course, sometimes with a specific grade requirement. Some courses may also require that a student be enrolled in specific academic program or have a specific academic status (junior or senior, for example).
  • Corequisite courses must be taken during the same semester.
  • Academic standing refers to a student’s cumulative and semester GPA. Students whose cumulative or semester GPA falls below 2.0, or who do not improve their GPA to 2.0 or higher in subsequent semesters, will be placed on low academic status which will impact the student’s ability to register for classes.

Adding Classes

  • Students should register for classes as soon as possible as space is limited.
  • Students may add classes once registration has been opened for their class level (senior, junior, etc.) through the 5th day of that semester.
  • To add a class after the 5th day of the semester, students must submit an ADD card with the instructor’s signature to the Registrar's Office.
  • No class may be added after the end of the 4th week of the semester.
  • An instructor’s signature on an add card will NOT override placement/prerequisite criteria. To override those requirements, the additional signature of the appropriate department chair or dean is required. Chairs and deans are listed in the academic program section of this catalog.

Waitlisting Full Classes

  • If a class is full (listed as “C” or closed), and a Waitlist seat is available, a student may choose to be Waitlisted online in the student registration system.
  • The student will be notified if/when a seat becomes available in the class. The notification is sent to the student’s Dmail account, and the student has 24 hours to add the course.
  • After the 24 hours, if the student has not enrolled in the course, the student is automatically dropped from the Waitlist for that class.
  • Once dropped from the Waitlist, the student must re-select the Waitlist option for that class and begin the process again.
  • The Waitlist is available through the 4th day of the semester.

Dropping Classes

  • Students may drop classes online through the end of the 8th week of the semester via myDixie.
  • If a course has a co-requisite, a student cannot drop one course and remain enrolled in the other course.
  • Dropping a class or classes may affect a student’s financial aid.
  • A $10 fee per class is assessed for students dropping a course after the first week of the semester.
  • No refunds are given for classes dropped after the end of the 3rd week of the semester. Classes dropped after the 3rd week of the semester will be marked with a “W” grade on the transcript.
  • Individual class(es) may not be dropped after the 8th week of the semester.
  • Students with extenuating circumstances may request a Complete Withdrawal from the University through the 12th week of the semester. (See Complete Withdrawal below)

Auditing Classes

Auditing enables a student to attend a class without receiving a grade or credit. A student who chooses to audit a class must pay all applicable tuition and fees, but no grade or credit will be issued. Once a student has requested a class be changed to audit status, a grade of "AU" will be issued.

  • A student may enroll in a class as an audit according to the ADD deadlines and procedures.
  • A student already enrolled in a class may change that class to an audit through the end of the first (1st) week of the semester.
  • A fee will be charged for changing a course to audit status beginning the second (2nd) week of the semester.
  • The request for audit status cannot be reversed.
  • Students should determine the impact changing a course to “Audit” will have on their financial aid.


Students are expected to attend all scheduled classes. If a student misses the first day of a class without instructor permission to be absent, they may be administratively dropped from that course. (See Administrative Drop below)

Attendance at all class sessions is a significant predictor of college success, and attendance is required in many courses. If a student must be absent from a class due to illness or another personal issue, they should work with the instructor to stay current.

No one other than officially enrolled students may attend class unless the instructor gives express permission.

Administrative Drops

A student may be administratively dropped from a class or all classes for the following reasons:

  1. Not attending a class on the first day of class without receiving permission from the instructor. (See Attendance above)
  2. Prerequisites for registered class(es) are not met.
  3. Neglecting to pay all tuition and fees by the tuition due date.
  4. A registration hold was overridden incorrectly.
  5. As part of disciplinary sanctions imposed through the Student Code.

IMPORTANT NOTES: There is no guarantee a student will be dropped for non-attendance.

  • It is a student’s responsibility to drop classes they do not attend and to verify the accuracy of their class schedule.
  • Not all instructors drop a student who never attend a class, although they are encouraged to do so.
  • Administrative drops may affect minimum load requirements, financial aid status, graduation requirements, or other areas.
  • Once a student registers for a class, tuition and fees are assessed, even if the student does not attend any class meetings.
  • Registering for a class but never attending will impact a student’s financial aid eligibility.

Administrative Drops for Non-Payment

Tuition and fees are due the 1st day of the semester. Students who have not paid or applied for the tuition payment plan will have their classes dropped for non-payment.

When an account is not paid in full by the corresponding deadline, the student will be "dropped for non-payment." This means all classes will be dropped.  Students whose schedule is canceled will be allowed to re-register on a space available basis only. Reinstatement into one's original schedule may not be possible.

Complete Withdrawal from the University

A student who experiences serious personal issues (medical, psychological, financial, family, etc.) can request a complete withdrawal from all classes through the end of the 12th week of the semester.

  • Complete withdrawal must be from ALL classes, not an individual course or courses.
  • Complete withdrawals may be requested by filling out the online Complete Withdrawal form or by filling out the Complete Withdrawal form at the Registrar's Office.
  • Complete withdrawal may affect a student’s financial aid. Any possible refund for a complete withdrawal would be issued according to the deadlines published in each semester’s course schedule.

Final Exams

The Final Exam period for each semester is posted online and in each semester’s schedule. Instructors are required to have a graded class activity during the final exam period for each class. Students are strongly discouraged from requesting early final exams, and such requests will only be granted in extreme circumstances. Permission to take an early final examination requires completion of the Early Final Exam request form, including documentation of severe circumstance requiring the accommodation, and must be approved by the course instructor and the appropriate Dean or his/her designee.

Academic Renewal

Academic renewal allows currently enrolled students to remove previous poor grades from grade point calculations ONLY in limited circumstances.

  • Coursework must have been completed at least five (5) calendar years before the academic renewal request.
  • Academic renewal applies only to Dixie State University or transfer courses graded of D+, D, D-, or F.
  • A student may only receive academic renewal once.
  • Academic renewal is not reversible.
  • If academic renewal is granted, designated courses will not count in the GPA calculation and will not satisfy any requirement, including number of credits. All such courses will remain unaltered on the transcript with the appropriate notation added to the transcript to indicate academic renewal.
  • Once a certificate, associate’s degree, or bachelor’s degree is awarded by any institution, all course(s) completed prior to the award of that certificate or degree do NOT qualify for academic renewal.

Conditions under which a petition for academic renewal will be considered:

  • The student must be enrolled at Dixie State University at the time of petition for academic renewal.
  • The student must have completed at least 15 credit hours at Dixie State University after the coursework being considered for academic renewal.
  • The student must obtain a minimum GPA of 2.5 in courses completed after the coursework being considered for academic renewal. The “new” coursework must have been completed within three (3) years prior to submitting the petition.
  • A non-refundable fee must be submitted with the academic renewal petition.

Exception to Policy Petition / Academic Appeals

A student may request an exception to a policy, as follows:

  • The Exception to Policy Committee accepts petitions for exceptions to deadlines and fees.
  • The Academic Appeals Committee accepts appeals of Academic actions, General Education requirements, and graduation requirements.

Required forms are located on the Registration web site and should be returned with any applicable supporting documents to the Registrar's Office.

General Education Letter of Completion

A student who completes DSU’s General Education requirements and has a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA may request a General Education “Letter of Completion,” which will be accepted by other Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) institutions in fulfillment of General Education requirements in the same manner as an associate of science or associate of art degree. To request a GE Letter of Completion, please fill out the the GE Letter of Completion form.

According to Utah Board of Regents policy R470, a student who transfers to DSU and completes DSU’s General Education requirements must meet the institutional residency requirement of 20 lower-division credits and have a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA in order to receive a General Education Letter of Completion.

Repeatable for Credit Courses

Courses marked with an “R” (example: FAST 1088R) are repeatable for credit up to a maximum number of credits specified in the catalog course description. There are also limits on the total number of credits of specific types of courses, including “repeatable for credit” courses, that a student may use to meet graduation requirements.

The total maximum for all repeatable for credit, internship, co-op, independent study, and activity courses that can be counted toward graduation requirements is as follows:

Associate’s degrees:

  • 12 credits co-op.
  • 15 credits total of co-op, internships, and independent study combined.
  • 12 credits repeatable for credit.
  • 20 credits total of co-op, internships, independent study, repeatable for credit, and activity courses combined.

Bachelor’s degrees:

  • 12 credits co-op.
  • 15 credits total of co-op, internships, and independent study combined.
  • 24 credits repeatable for credit.1
  • 30 credits total of co-op, internships, independent study, repeatable for credit, and activity courses combined.

NOTE: Some courses are “repeatable as topic varies”, which means the course number does not include an “R” because although the course number is repeated, the course content is different. Courses that are repeatable as topic varies will have a different course title each time they are taught, and a student cannot repeat the same course title. Repeatable as topic varies courses are not included in the limitations on repeatable for credit courses.

Absences Related to Official University Activities 

A student requesting a schedule accommodation for an approved official University activity has an individual responsibility to provide the instructor in each class with official written verification of the approved official University event and his/her participation and to make arrangements for any course work that will be missed.

  • A request for schedule accommodation must be submitted in writing to the appropriate faculty member and must include the name and dates of the activity, the student's name and ID number, and the activity's sponsoring faculty or staff member.
  • Single Event: A student requesting a one-time schedule accommodation for an event that will occur once must submit a request to the instructor of each class at least seven (7) days before the activity.
  • Recurring or Frequent Activity: By the second day of class in a semester, a student requesting schedule accommodations for a recurrent activity must submit the request in writing, including the schedule of such absences, to the instructor of each class.
    • An instructor may determine that recurring, frequent, or lengthy absences will interfere with a student's ability to succeed in the course and recommend that the student seek an alternative.
    • In addition to the initial notice at the beginning of the semester, at least seven (7) calendar days but not more than 10 calendar days prior to the absence for which a schedule accommodation is requested, the student will confer with the faculty member to arrange for completion and submission of work.
  • No faculty member has an obligation to grant a request for an excused absence for an approved or unapproved official University event submitted to him/her less than seven (7) calendar days before the absence, but may do so at his/her discretion insofar as such action is non-discriminatory.
  • Absences for participation in approved University activities can usually be anticipated, and the student should be prepared to complete course work prior to the absence.

Required Military Service

A student who is in "uniformed service" may request a schedule accommodation for short-term required military activities (deployment, activation, or mobilization) that must take place during the semester and are 14 calendar days or less in duration. If a student's absence is more than 14 calendar days in a full semester, s/he should consider doing a complete withdrawal from the semester. A student who is activated for military service should contact the Veteran's Coordinator in the Veterans Student Service Center as soon as possible for assistance with issues concerning current classes, registration status, and/or educational benefits.

  • The student must provide instructors with a printed copy of their "orders" to request a military activity schedule accommodation.
  • In the event written "orders" give a student less than seven (7) calendar days from notification to the onset of the absence, instructors are still encouraged to work with the student concerning the requested schedule accommodation.
  • An instructor may determine that recurring, frequent, or lengthy absences will interfere with a student's ability to succeed in the course and recommend that the student seek an alternative.
  • A student who requires an extension to the original period of absence must contact the Veteran's Coordinator, who will require verification of the required extension and then notify instructors, who may recommend that the student seek an alternative.
  • Absences for required military activities may or may not be anticipated.
    • A student with advance notice of a required military activity may be required to complete course work prior to the absence.
    • If the student has less than seven (7) calendar days' notice (as certified by the written "orders"), the instructor should make every effort to work with the student to accomplish the schedule accommodation.


Instructors must enter course grades in the student registration system by 5:00 p.m. on the second working day after the last final exam of the semester.

  • Grades are available by logging in to Student Services under myDixie on the DSU home page.
  • A student must complete the Online Course Survey (often referred to as “student evaluations”) for each course to view grades at the end of a semester. A student who chooses not to complete the Online Course Surveys for all classes may be delayed in accessing their grades.
  • A student must be in good standing (have no unpaid obligations to the University or other holds on their record) to view grades.

Grades are calculated into a student's GPA (grade point average) as follows:

Grade Point Value Notes
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.4
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.4
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.4
D 1.0
D- 0.7
F 0.0 Fail
P * Pass
I * Incomplete
AU * Audit
W * Withdrawal
NG * No Grade Issued

Incomplete (“I”) Grades

According to DSU Policy, a grade of “Incomplete” (“I”) may be issued ONLY in the following circumstances:

  • The student has completed a substantial portion of a course and is unable to complete the coursework for a legitimate reason (e.g. serious illness or accident).
  • The student is passing the course and needs to complete less than 20% of the coursework.
  • Copies of the incomplete contract, signed by the instructor and the student, MUST be submitted to the appropriate department chair and the Registrar’s Office before an Incomplete grade will be entered on a students transcript.

An “I” grade must not be used in a way that will permit a student to retake the course without paying tuition.

  • A student who receives an incomplete does not re-register for the class.  If the situation requires that the student sign up for the class again, the instructor should give the grade that was earned.  Ordinarily, completing the course will not require that a student attend class or complete the work by attending class.

Once the student has completed the coursework, the instructor must submit a Grade Change form to the Registrar’s Office.

  • If the student does not finish the work or if the instructor does not submit a Grade Change form within one calendar year, an “I” grade will be changed to the higher of the following:
    • Grade earned by the student at the time of final grading in the semester when the "I" was issued, if such an alternate grade was entered by the instructor at the same time the "I' was entered.
    • "F" grade.
  • Instructors may institute deadlines of less than one calendar year for the completion of coursework.
  • An "I" grade will affect a student’s financial aid in future semesters.
  • Students have 30 days after the last day of final exams in their graduation semester to resolve any incomplete "I" grades.

Grade Changes

According to DSU Policy, grade changes may be made ONLY in the following circumstances:

  • An incorrect grade was entered. If a student claims a grading error, they must notify the instructor no later than the last day of the following semester, excluding summer semester. Faculty are responsible for submitting a Grade Change form to the Registrar’s Office.
  • A student received an “I” grade, completes the work required to finish a class, and the instructor submits a Grade Change form within one calendar year of the “I” grade being issued.
  • A student received an “I” grade, but no Grade Change form is submitted within one (1) calendar year of the “I” grade being issued. The grade is automatically changed to “F” or an alternate grade submitted by the instructor when the course was graded with an "I".
  • A student’s Exception to Policy petition was granted or Academic Appeal was approved. Exception to Policy petitions must be received within four (4) calendar years of the grade being issued. Academic Appeals for a semester grade must be filed within 20 days of the final grading deadline for that semester.

Repeating a Course for a Higher Grade

If a student wants or needs to repeat a course for a higher grade, they must register and pay tuition and fees for the repeated class. The repeated course will remain on the transcript but, only the most recent grade earned in any course will be used in GPA calculations.

Previous grades and credit hours for the repeated course remain on the student’s transcript, but are not calculated in the GPA or total hours completed. Credit hours for repeated courses will be counted only once toward graduation and other requirements. Some programs may have limitations on which courses can be repeated for a higher grade. In addition, a student’s financial aid may be impacted by repeating courses for a higher grade.

A student may repeat a course for a higher grade in the following circumstances:

  1. The course was originally taken at Dixie State University and was repeated at DSU. If the course prefix and number are the same, the most recent grade earned in a course will automatically replace a previous grade.
  2. The course, originally taken at another institution, articulates to a DSU course as determined by an existing articulation agreement or the appropriate DSU department chair.
  3. The course, originally taken at DSU, was later repeated at another institution. If a course repeat is taken at another institution, the course must articulate to the previously taken Dixie State University course as determined by an existing articulation agreement or the appropriate DSU department chair. The student must submit an official transcript from the other institution.

Transfer Credit

Students transferring to Dixie State University must supply an official transcript either in an envelope sealed by an official of the sending institution or by authorized electronic means. A student’s official transcript will be evaluated by the Registrar’s Office (to determine the applicability and transferability of credits) after the student has matriculated into a degree program. Transfer credits are calculated in a student’s cumulative GPA.

To be accepted as transfer credit at DSU, transfer credits must be college level (not remedial, developmental or pre-college) and must be completed with a grade of D- or above. Where no articulation agreement exists, Dixie State University academic departments determine course equivalencies in their subject areas. Transfer credit may be limited based on institutional accreditation or existing articulation agreement (or lack thereof), and/or in amount or by age by a Dixie State University academic department. Students may be asked to supply information from a college or university catalog, bulletin, syllabus, and/or course outline to aid in the evaluation of a transcript or a specific course.

Transfer credit may be accepted from other institutions for the purpose of posting a grade repeat for a course already taken at Dixie State University, providing the transfer course is equivalent as established by either an articulation agreement between the two institutions or approval by the appropriate department chair.

Transfer credit earned at a 1000 or 2000 level usually does not substitute for a 3000 or 4000 level class at Dixie State University. Exceptions may be permitted when the course is equivalent to the Dixie State University class and require the approval of the director/department chair and dean who administer the program that controls that course prefix.

The University reserves the right to deny credit for courses that are not compatible with those offered in its academic programs.  For example, courses that provide religious instruction in a particular doctrine and courses offered for non-credit continuing education units will not be awarded Dixie State University credit.

Students who have fulfilled the General Education requirements at a regionally accredited institution will be considered to have fulfilled the General Education requirements at Dixie State University. Students from non-USHE institutions must meet Dixie State University and Utah Board of Regents requirements in three core areas:  American Institutions, English Composition, and Mathematics.

International Transfer Credit

In order for students to receive credit for college or university coursework completed outside of the U.S., transcripts need to be sent to an approved credential evaluation service. Once transcripts are received at Dixie State University from a credential evaluation service, they will be evaluated for specific equivalencies (course syllabi are required for major specific course credit). Courses not meeting equivalency requirements may be accepted as elective credit. For more information, see the International Students section of this catalog.

Credit by Examination (Extra Institutional Credit)

Dixie State University awards credit for knowledge and competencies as measured by standard examinations such as the Advanced Placement program (AP) and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Specific exams, subject areas accepted, the minimum score requirements, and the amount of credit granted are posted below.

Conditions for receiving credit by examination:

  • Students must be currently enrolled at Dixie State University to receive any credit by examination.
  • A fee is assessed for posting credit by examination to a transcript.
  • Credit may not be received more than once for the same course.
  • If a student has ever received a grade, including a “W”, in a course for which credit by exam is awarded, the credit by exam option is no longer available. A credit by exam cannot replace a course grade.
  • All credit received for examinations is graded “P” (Pass).
  • Credit earned by exam can be used to fulfill General Education requirements as appropriate.
  • DSU will award no more than a combined maximum of 30 total credits for the following:
    • Advance Placement credit (AP)
    • College Level Examination Program credit (CLEP)
    • Foreign Language Achievement Testing Services credit (BYU FLATS)
    • International Baccalaureate credit

Specific exam scores and course credits awarded are listed in the Registration section of this catalog.

Challenging Courses for Credit

A matriculated student in good standing who is able to provide evidence of prior learning that fulfills the student learning outcomes of a course may request to challenge that course for credit by successfully completing a comprehensive assessment or examination under the following circumstances:

  • The student must be enrolled in the course and may only challenge during the first two weeks of the semester. If a student has ever received a grade in a course (A – F, AU, WF, etc.), they may not challenge that course.
  • The instructor and the department chair agree that a challenge is appropriate for the course and that the assessment or examination is an acceptable measure of the course’s student learning outcomes. If the department chair is the instructor, the approval of the dean is required.
  • An examination fee may be required.
  • A student who successfully challenges a course will receive the grade indicated by the assessment or examination score. Final grades will be entered according to the semester schedule.

Testing Out of a Course with No Credit 

A limited number of competency-based courses that fulfill institutional requirements offer students the option of passing a test to fulfill the requirement in lieu of taking the course.

  • If the student fails the examination, nothing is posted to the transcript.
  • If the student earns a passing score on the examination, fulfillment of the requirement is noted on the transcript but no credit or grade is awarded.
  • There may be a fee to take the examination, but no posting fee will be applied since no credit is awarded.
  • Courses currently offering this option are listed in the University Catalog.

Vertical Credit for Foreign Language Classes

Vertical Credit is only awarded to advanced foreign language students and is not available for other types of classes. After passing an advanced foreign language class with a C grade or higher, up to sixteen (16) credits of vertical credit may be received for the courses that are preparatory to the advanced class using the following procedures and guidelines:

  • Pay the posting fee at the Cashier's Office
  • Fill out and return the Extra-Institutional Credit form with a copy of your receipt for the posting fee to the Registrar's Office.
  • After the above steps are completed, ungraded elective or General Education foreign language credit is awarded for the preparatory foreign language course(s).

See the Extra-Institutional Credit policy (523) for more information.

Confidentiality of Records (FERPA)

Dixie State University complies with the Family Education and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) which mandates that information contained in a student’s education record must be kept confidential and only released on a need-to-know basis, and that such access be limited to job-related, legitimate educational interests. The information contained in a student’s record may not be released to a third party without that student’s written consent. A student has the right to place restrictions on his/her directory information. To place a restriction or hold on student records, a student must fill out the appropriate paperwork at the Registrar’s Office. The paperwork must be filled out annually for the restriction to continue. Dixie State University may provide Directory Information in accordance with the provision of FERPA. Directory information at Dixie State University:

  • Student's name, address, or telephone number
  • Dixie ID number
  • Email address
  • Date of birth
  • Residency status
  • Enrollment status (full/part-time)
  • Major field of study
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Previous school(s) attended
  • Academic level
  • Photograph(s)
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Height and weight of members of athletic teams

Catalog Rights

A student has catalog rights for associate degree requirements, including General Education requirements, for four (4) years beginning with the date of matriculation into any degree program as long as he/she maintains continuous enrollment by completing at least one DSU credit bearing course each academic year. The date of matriculation is not always the same as the date of first admission.

A student has catalog rights for baccalaureate degree requirements, including General Education requirements, for seven (7) years beginning with the date of matriculation into any degree program as long as s/he maintains continuous enrollment by completing at least one DSU credit bearing course each academic year. The date of matriculation is not always the same as the date of first admission.

A student may also maintain catalog rights, as listed above, if s/he has an approved enrollment deferral or leave of absences on file. The time a student is away, however, still counts toward the lifespan of the catalog rights.

A student may fulfill DSU General Education requirements through any of the following methods:

  1. Previously earned Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from a regionally accredited institution.1
  2. Previously earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.1
  3. General Education Letter of Completion from a Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) institution.
  4. Credits awarded for scores on specific examinations as outlined in the DSU catalog current at the time of posting.
  5. Completion of the International Baccalaureate exams and diploma.

A student who has not fulfilled General Education requirements through any of the methods listed above and who has catalog rights must select any of the following sets of program and General Education requirements:

  1. Requirements in effect at the time of matriculation into any DSU degree program.
  2. Requirements in effect at the time of matriculation into the specific degree program in which the student will graduate.
  3. Requirements in effect at the time the student applies for graduation.

A student who matriculates into a degree program that was not in the DSU catalog when the student matriculated into any DSU degree program must select from the following sets of program and General Education requirements, with the exception that General Education requirements may be fulfilled through any of the methods listed above.

  1. Requirements in effect at the time of matriculation into the specific degree program in which the student will graduate.
  2. Requirements in effect at the time of graduation.

A student must fulfill all degree requirements from one catalog. Students may not split requirements between two catalogs for a single degree.

A student may apply for an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree and a baccalaureate degree at the same time using different catalogs requirements for each degree. In other words, a student who enrolled in Fall 2011 can apply to receive an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree under the General Education requirements in place on the date of his/her matriculation into any degree program up to four (4) years from the date of enrollment into any degree program, even if the student is simultaneously applying to graduate with a baccalaureate degree under another catalog.

Leave of Absence (LOA)

  • Undergraduate students are eligible to register up to one calendar year from the last term of enrollment.
  • A Leave of Absence (LOA) allows current students who have attended at least one semester and are in academic and financial good standing to extend enrollment eligibility for a maximum of seven consecutive semesters (including summers) after the last term of enrollment. Students granted LOA will not need to reapply or pay a readmission fee and may, in some circumstances, retain an awarded scholarship.
    • First-time entering freshmen, transfer students, and readmitted students may not request a LOA, but may apply for Deferred Admission. See Deferred Admission in the Admissions section of the University catalog.
  • Application for LOA must be submitted before the first day of classes for the semester in which the Leave of Absence will begin.
  • A LOA may be granted for the following reasons:
    • Serving a humanitarian or religious mission
    • Severe medical condition
    • Financial hardship
    • Military service
  • Students granted a LOA will not be required to apply for readmission during the period of the leave or for the first semester immediately following that leave.
  • Students requesting a LOA who also have been awarded a scholarship may request a deferment of that scholarship for the same length of time.
    • Out-of state tuition waivers are not deferred, but students granted such a waiver who are granted LOA will receive first priority for such a waiver upon their return, pending eligibility and program restrictions.
  • It is a student’s responsibility to register in classes for the semester following a LOA. If desired, the student may designate someone to register for classes for him/her prior to his/her return.
  • If a student does not register for courses in the term indicated on the request for LOA, the student will forfeit any scholarship or waiver rights and will need to apply for readmission.
  • A student may not request a LOA to attend any other post-secondary institution, including a university, college, or technical / vocational school.

Leave of Absence Checklist

  1. If you plan on taking a Leave of Absence (LOA), plan your courses accordingly. For example, mathematics courses and exams taken as a prerequisite to another Math class are only valid for two years. You may have to retake a Math class or re-test when you return.
  2. Complete and submit Leave of Absence and Scholarship Deferment form if applicable.
  3. If you want someone else to register you for classes before you actually return to campus, you must designate that individual on the LOA form.
  4. Meet with an academic advisor to determine a plan for your return, including the courses you will take when you re-enroll.
  5. Complete any courses graded “I”, which will automatically become “F” grades one year after that grade was issued.

Returning from a Leave of Absence

  1. Contact the Admissions and/or Scholarship Office to determine if additional or updated information needs to be submitted.
  2. Register for classes to take during the first full semester after your return. If you decide to re-enroll at DSU prior to your anticipated return date, contact the Admissions Office.
  3. Retake the Accuplacer placement exam if needed for Math prerequisites.
  4. Meet with an academic advisor to create an academic plan to review updated or new program or graduation requirements.
  5. If you learned a foreign language while on your leave of absence, you may be eligible to earn up to 16 credits by taking an exam and/or course. See the Extra-Institutional Credit policy (5-15) for more information.