Spanish Emphasis Requirements
|SPAN 3060||Advanced Grammar, Culture and Composition I||3|
|SPAN 3390||Intro to Spanish Literature||3|
|Complete 18 credits from the following:|
|SPAN 3010||Spanish for Heritage Speakers||3|
|SPAN 3116||Pop Culture: Film, Media and Entertainment||3|
|SPAN 3117||Breaking Down Walls, Building Identities||3|
|SPAN 3118||Literature and Film: Contemporary Issues||3|
|SPAN 3040||Intermediate Grammar and Oral Proficiency||4|
|SPAN 3070||Advanced Grammar, Culture and Composition II||3|
|SPAN 3075||Intro to Spanish Linguistics||3|
|SPAN 3080||Spanish Phonetics & Pronunciation||3|
|SPAN 3090||Spanish for the Professions||3|
|SPAN 3570||Contemporary Spanish Culture and Society Through Film||3|
|SPAN 3580||Contemporary Issues||3|
|SPAN 3950||Hispanics in US Service Learn||3|
|SPAN 3990||Seminar in Spanish||0.5-3|
|SPAN 4000||Foundations of Dual Language Immersion Education||3|
|SPAN 4510||Business Spanish I||3|
|SPAN 4550||Culture and Civilization of Spain||3|
|SPAN 4560||Culture/Customs of Spanish America||3|
|SPAN 4610||Spanish Peninsular Literature to 1800||3|
|SPAN 4620||Spanish Peninsular Literature From 1800||3|
|SPAN 4625||Generation of '98||3|
|SPAN 4630||Spanish American Lit to 1880||3|
|SPAN 4640||Spanish American Lit From 1880||3|
|SPAN 4700||Teaching Modern Languages||3|
Introductory Information to Spanish Degree
Students can begin taking the required courses for the Spanish major in one of three ways:
1. By beginning with any of the lower division courses (SPAN 1010, 1020, 2010, or 2020), depending on a student’s background. Students who begin with 1020, 2010, or 2020 may receive vertical credits for the lower classes, if needed, according to policy.
2. By beginning with SPAN 3010 for heritage Spanish speakers5. If needed, students can receive vertical credits for the classes skipped, according to policy.
3. By beginning with SPAN 3060 for native speakers6 or students who have lived in a Spanish speaking environment for 1.5 years or more. If needed, students can receive vertical credits for the classes skipped, according to policy.
The Bachelor of Arts foreign language requirement may be filled with any of these three options as soon as the student receives credit for either SPAN 2020 or SPAN 3060.
Placement in foreign language classes is at the discretion of the Department Chair.
- Students must select and complete two emphases and Core Requirements.
- Grade C or higher in each Emphasis Area course required.
- SPAN 3580 may be repeated as topic varies up to 6 credits.
- If a student's native language is Spanish, SPAN 3010 cannot be counted towards requirements.
You are a "heritage speaker" if the primary language spoken at home was Spanish and you graduated from a high school where the language of instruction was English.
You are a "native speaker" if the primary language spoken at home was Spanish and you graduated from a high school where the language of instruction was Spanish.