|Location:||2nd floor Browning Learning Resource Center|
|Hours:||8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday|
|Assistant Director:||Mike Nelson|
|Office: (435) 879-4680|
The Multicultural/Diversity Center (MCDC) is a student support service established to provide services to students with various backgrounds and to increase diversity at Dixie State University. The MCDC operates under the principle that every person’s unique life experiences enriches campus life and adds a profound element to a true education. We invite all DSU students to participate in the Multicultural/Diversity Center events; promote diversity though awareness and acceptance; and celebrate their own cultural identities as well as those of others.
Please take your time to explore our Website, and feel free to contact us with any questions, concerns or suggestions. We also invite you to stop by the MCDC to further see how we can be of benefit to you.
The Multicultural/Diversity Center is committed to adding diversity to Dixie State University and the surrounding community by promoting an atmosphere of acceptance, awareness and inclusiveness. We encourage and promote social engagements, leadership opportunities, personal development, and academic excellence in order to give all students at Dixie State a grounded education.
Please take the time to explore our website and feel free to contact us with any questions, concerns or suggestions. We also invite you to stop by the MCDC to further see how we can assist you.
- Advisement: Applying for admission to DSU, registering for classes, financial aid/scholarship assistance, student advocacy
- Mentoring: Tutoring services, peer advisor training, leadership development, textbook checkout
- Orientation: Program orientation, recruitment of students of color, university-preparatory workshops
- Personal Counseling: Cultural and ethnic issues; diversity issues related to race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, etc.
- Clubs & Organizations: Pacific Islander Student Association, Black Student Association, Hispanic Student Association, Native American Student Association, Gay Straight Alliance, International Club, Japanese Cultural Club
Dixie State University recognizes that a culturally diverse student body benefits and enriches the educational experience of all students, faculty and staff. Thus, we strive to assist students who will enrich our cultural diversity and make every attempt to support their academic success. The presence and the success of these students at Dixie State University benefits each student individually, but also enhances the experience of the entire DSU community at large. The recipients of the Multicultural Scholarship must demonstrate academic merit, outstanding leadership, and financial need in order to qualify. If awarded, he/she must take an active part in the MCDC by giving service. Scholarship priority deadline is March 1, 2014. For more information, visit www.dixie.edu/diversity. Scholarship criteria include:
- US Citizen and legal resident of Utah
- Must have and maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Enrolled full-time (minimum 15 credits)
- Enrolled in a degree-seeking program
- Exemplify a multicultural background
Each year, the Multicultural/Diversity Center sponsors a series of campus-wide events that are open to all students, faculty, staff and community members. See updated events at www.dixie.edu/diversity.
- Leadership Retreat
- Academic Success Workshops
- Community Service Projects
- Diversity Forums
- Diversity Week
- Cultural Education booths
- “Who Am I?” Discussion
- Native American Celebration
- Taste Around the World
- Black Out Dance
- International Movie Festival
- Multicultural Extravaganza