Associate Director: Laralee Davenport
Office: Level 1, Holland Centennial Commons
Phone: (435) 652-7777
FAX: (435) 879-4060
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

The Office of Admissions at Dixie State University is dedicated to providing service to prospective, new, returning and continuing students pursuing an undergraduate education.  DSU maintains an open enrollment policy, admitting all applicants who meet the admission criteria.

Admission Procedures

All DSU admission policies shall be applied without regard to race, color, ethnic background, national origin, religion, creed, age, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, and/or gender.

Application Deadlines

Dixie State University is an open enrollment institution. Students should apply by the first day of the semester for which they intend to enroll in courses.

Degree Seeking Students

Students attending DSU to pursue a certificate or degree or to earn credits to transfer to another college or university are classified as degree seeking students. To be admitted and matriculated as a degree seeking student, applicants must have received a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent. Recognized equivalents include:

  • High school equivalency credential by passing a GED, HiSET, or TASC test.
  • Being past the age of compulsory education. In Utah, the age of compulsory education is generally 18; however, exceptions can be made for students who have been released from further secondary school attendance. See Early Enrollment Student below.
  • Submitting an academic transcript showing successful completion of a two-year program (or more) that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree.

Students who do not meet one or more of the above requirements may be admitted as non-degree seeking.

New Freshmen Students

Students who have graduated from high school and are entering college for the first time must submit the following:

  • Submit DSU Admission application online.
  • Pay the non-refundable application fee.
  • An official high school transcript or high school graduation equivalency (GED).
  • Official ACT or SAT scores, or take the Accuplacer at the DSU Testing Center.
  • Submit official transcript from each college or university previously attended (including college courses taken as concurrent enrollment in high school).

New freshmen students must also:

Transfer Students

Students who previously attended another college or university after graduating from high school (or after their class graduated from high school) are transfer students.

  • Submit DSU Admission application online.
  • Pay the non-refundable application fee.
  • Submit official transcript from each college or university previously attended.
  • Transfer students with less than 24 college-level credits must also submit high school transcripts and placement test scores (ACT, SAT or Accuplacer).

​Transfer students must also:

Returning Students

Students who previously attended DSU after high school graduation but haven’t attended in three or more semesters (even if they attended another college or university during that time) are returning students.

  • Submit DSU Admission application online.
  • Pay the non-refundable application fee.
  • Submit official transcript from each college or university previously attended. 

Non-Degree Seeking Students

Students attending DSU for personal interest or enrichment are non-degree seeking students.

  • Submit DSU Admission application online (select non-degree seeking as your admission type and major).
  • Pay the non-refundable application fee.
  • In order to pursue a degree or certificate, or to receive financial aid, students must be matriculated (enrolled as degree seeking).

Senior Citizens (Housebill 60)

Utah residents age 62 years or older, may enroll in university courses on an audit basis (not for credit) as space is available.

  • Submit DSU Admission application online  (select non-degree seeking as your admission type and major).
  • Submit HB 60 application and pay a onetime only, non-refundable application fee. See HB 60 in the Registration section of this catalog.

​Graduate Students

Students have completed a bachelor's degree and are pursuing an advanced degree.

For admission to the DSU Master of Accountancy program, students must:

  • ​Submit DSU Graduate Admission application online.
  • Pay the non-refundable application fee.
  • Submit official transcript from each college or university previously attended.
  • Submit appropriate graduate assessment exam scores
  • Provide three (3) letters of recommendation from
    • Current or former supervisor
    • Academic source (professor, advisor, etc)
    • Other (personal, professional, or academic)  
  • Complete and submit a graduate program essay. 

Admission to Specific Programs

Admission to DSU does not guarantee admission into an individual major or program of study.  Some programs of study may require an additional program admission process.  All prospective students must first apply through the Admissions Office before being considered for admission to a specific program. No application to a specific program may be considered until the applicant has been admitted to the University.

Undocumented Students

In the state of Utah, undocumented students who attended a Utah high school and did not attend a college or university prior to Fall 2002 are exempt from the non-resident portion of the tuition at institutions of higher education, allowing them to pay the in-state tuition rate if the following specific conditions apply:

  • Student attended high school in the state of Utah for three or more years
  • Student graduated from a high school in Utah or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Utah

In addition to these requirements, a student without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with DSU in order to receive resident tuition.

English Proficiency

Proof of English ability is not required before being accepted as a Dixie State University student. Students are typically required to take the CaMLA-EPT (a general English assessment test) and the DSU Writing Assessment to determine class placement upon arrival.​ See ESL section of this catalog for more information. 

Leave of Absence and Deferment

Students who wish to take a break from their educational studies for one or more semesters (other than summer semester) should file a Leave of Absence form. 

Leave of Absence:  For Current students who have attended DSU for one or more semesters and plan to take a break from school, but plan to return to DSU in a future semester. 

Deferment:  First-time freshmen, transfer students, or readmitted students who wish to defer their enrollment in the institution once they have been completely admitted.

  • Students who received concurrent enrollment credits as high school students are still considered first time freshmen.

Students may request a Leave of Absence or Deferment for a maximum of seven (7) consecutive semesters (including summers).  The Leave of Absence form must be submitted by the third week of the semester in which the Leave of Absence will begin.

Leave of Absence and Deferments may be granted for the following reasons:

  • Family responsibilities
  • Financial
  • Humanitarian service
  • Medical
  • Military service
  • Religious mission

A student may not request a Leave of Absence or  Deferment to attend another post-secondary institution, including any university, college, or technical/vocational school.

Benefits of a Leave of Absence or Deferment

  • ​Students that are granted a Leave of Absence or Deferment, will not be required to apply for readmission as long as s/he registers for classes in the semester of their designated return.
  • Academic scholarships can be placed on hold and reactivated for the designated semester of the students' return (Information regarding a Scholarship Deferment can be found in the Scholarship section of this catalog).
    • Out-of state tuition waivers can not be deferred, but students granted such a waiver who defer their admission will receive first priority for such a waiver upon their return, pending eligibility and program restrictions.
  • Students can designate someone to act on their behalf while they are away from school (register for classes, work with financial aid, etc.).

Steps to set up a Leave of Absence or Deferment

  • Complete and submit the Leave of Absence form online.
  • Designate someone to act on your behalf while you are away.  Ideally, this should be a parent or guardian.  This designation will authorize university officials to share information about your record with this person(s).  Without the selection of a delegate, federal privacy laws (FERPA) prevents the university from sharing any information with anyone trying to assist you before your return. 
    • Provide your delegate the necessary information to access your student account (permission passphrase, Dixie ID number, and Dixie password if needed).
  • Meet with an academic advisor to determine what courses you should take upon return.

Returning from Leave of Absence or Deferment​

  • Contact your academic advisor to create an academic plan to review updated or new requirements and facilitate efficient completion program and degree requirements.
  • Register for classes for the designated semester of your return to DSU.  It is a student’s responsibility to register for the semester following the period of the Leave of Absence, the student may designate someone to register for him/her prior to his/her return.
  • If you need to change your anticipated return date to DSU, contact the Admissions Office.  If you exceed the 7 maximum amount of seven semesters, you may need to reapply.   
  • Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office to verify eligibility for aid. If a student does not register for courses within seven semesters, the student will forfeit any scholarship or tuition waiver rights
  • If you learned a foreign language during your deferral period, you may be eligible to earn up to 16 credits by taking an exam and/or course. Contact the Humanities Department for more information.
  • Upon returning to DSU, students will have the option to select the original catalog at initial enrollment or the current catalog. The time a student is away, however, still counts toward the seven year (for Bachelor degree programs, four years for Associate degree programs) life of  their chosen catalog.
  • Students may need to retake the Accuplacer exam for any required Math prerequisites.


Dixie State University will determine student resident status in accordance with Utah Law and the State Board of Regents policy (R512, Determination of Resident Status).  Once you have been admitted to DSU, your official letter of acceptance will include your classification. 

*** Nonresident students should be aware that residency does not change automatically. *** 

Students who have been classified as nonresident students and who feel they now satisfy the requirements for Utah Resident Status for Tuition Purposes must file an application with the Residency Office (Holland Centennial Commons, 1st floor).  Students will need to complete a residency application.  Applications are processed each semester.  Applications for residency must be received by the seventh (7th) business day of the semester, and all supporting documentation must be submitted by the 21st day.  Applications received after this deadline will not be reviewed or considered. The application will not be completed or processed until the student is admitted to the University.

If an application is denied by the Residency Office, the student may file an appeal to the Residency Appeals Committee.  Any appeal of a residency decision must be filed within 10 business days after the email denying residency is sent.  Appeals cannot be considered after the 25th day of classes.

To qualify for Utah resident status for tuition purposes, a person is required to:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status.
  • Document living in Utah for 12 continuous months, as a student or working.
  • Not be claimed as a dependent on most recent tax returns by anyone who is not a resident of Utah.
  • Obtain a Utah vehicle registration, voter registration, and driver's license at least three months prior to the start of the semester for which the student is applying for residency.

Each person who applies for Utah resident status for tuition purposes is considered on the totality of evidence. Based upon review of each application, additional documentation may be required, including evidence of employment in Utah, proof of payment of Utah income taxes for the previous year, birth certificate, parent's tax returns, etc.

Persons having questions about a specific situation (not covered by the information above) should contact the Admissions Office.

Residency Exceptions:

Provisions in the law enable a person to be granted Utah residency for tuition purposes as an exception to the regulations listed above. A few exceptions are listed below, but students should contact the Admissions Office for more information regarding requirements and restrictions for each exception. Below are the most common exceptions to the 12-month waiting period for residency and the required documentation listed in the Regents Policy 512, Determination of Residency Status. For a complete list of exceptions, explanations and definitions, please visit our residency website (listed below) for the link to the R512 document on the Utah System of Higher Education's website.

  1. Dependent children and spouses of those who obtain full-time employment and move to Utah.
  2. Dependent persons having a parent who has been a legal resident of Utah for at least one year.
  3. Persons who marry a Utah resident. (The spouse must have been a Utah resident before the marriage.)
  4. Active-duty military personnel and their dependents with current duty station in Utah can pay resident tuition while they are stationed in Utah.
  5. Military veterans and their dependents may also qualify for residency for tuition purposes, regardless of where they served.
  6. Native Americans who are registered on the tribal rolls of tribes whose lands are contiguous to Utah. (Documentation is required.)

For a complete list of exceptions, explanations and definitions, and regulations regarding residency, please review the requirements at the Admissions page or call the Registrar's Office at (435) 652-7708.

Concurrent Enrollment Students

Students currently enrolled in a Washington County high school that would like to complete DSU classes as part of their high school program are concurrent enrollment students.  Concurrent enrollment students must complete the admission process to be considered for the program.

  • Complete online concurrent enrollment application
  • Pay the non-refundable application fee
  • Be a high school junior or senior
  • Have a high school GPA of at least 3.0
  • Official ACT or SAT scores, or take the Accuplacer test at the DSU Testing Center.

See Concurrent Enrollment section of this catalog. 

Early Enrollment Students

Early enrollment students are students whose class has not yet graduated from high school and who meet at least one of the following qualifications:

  • Are currently enrolled in high school and want to attend university classes (on their own -- not concurrent enrollment through the school district).
  • Are home school students whose class has not yet graduated from high school.
  • Have been officially released from Utah compulsory school attendance requirements.

These students may enroll in university courses for credit if they complete all of the following:

  • Submit DSU admission Application online.
  • Pay non-refundable application fee.
  • Demonstrate college readiness by submitting ACT, SAT, or Accuplacer scores equivalent to the following ACT minimums for early enrollment students.
    English 19 or higher
    Math 18 or higher
    Reading 17 or higher
  • Submit a parent/guardian permission form.
    • Emancipated minors may submit court documentation showing such status in lieu of parent/guardian permission.
  • Submit one of the following:
    • A letter from the student’s local school district stating that the student has been approved to take university classes. A high school transcript must accompany this letter.
    • A letter from the student’s local school district stating that the student has been released from compulsory education.
    • A letter from the student’s local school district certifying that the student is a home school student for that year. Home school students must supply such certification each year until the student’s class graduates from high school.

An International student is defined as an individual who is legally domiciled in a country other than the United States of America at the time of application for admission to DSU.  

  • Students who are U.S. citizens (natural or naturalized) or who are permanent residents (Green Card), should not apply as international students.

International Student Admission Requirements

To be admitted international students must provide the following:

  1. International Student Application for Admissions.  
  2. Pay the non-refundable International application fee.
  3. Official transcripts and certificates
    • Secondary school transcript.
    • Official college transcripts (If an original cannot be provided, a certified true copy will be accepted. If the transcripts are not in English, a certified English translation of all documents is preferred).
  4. Evidence of financial capability.  Provide proof of financial support from a bank or other lending institution showing a source of income for the total expenses needed to attend one full year at DSU.  This may be in the form of a certified bank statement or an official letter from the bank or institution (Funds must be in U.S. dollars).  Complete the form which applies to you:
    • ESL Financial Statement Form
    • Financial Statement Form
  5. A copy of the identification page of your passport
  6. English Proficiency.  If English is not your primary language, you may need to take ESL courses based on your English proficiency score.

Transfer Students

Students that are currently studying at another U.S. college or university on an F-1 visa who wish to transfer to Dixie State University will need to provide all of the above, along with a transcript from their current college and the DSU International Student Transfer Form.

In order for you to receive credit for college work completed outside of the US, you will need to send your transcript to a credential evaluation service. They will verify that your course work is equivalent to course work taken at a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. There is a fee involved. Once a transcript from a credential evaluation service is received, you will also need to provide a certified English translation of the course descriptions for courses to be evaluated for a specific equivalent; otherwise all courses will be transferred as elective credit.